Visual Studio Code is a streamlined code editor with support for development operations like debugging, task running, and version control. It aims to provide just the tools a developer needs for a quick code-build-debug cycle.
Visual Studio Code version 1.59.1 comes with many updates, including:
- Extensions view improvements - Rich extension detail hovers, new runtime status tab.
- Settings editor validation - Quickly find editing errors for object-based settings.
- Drag and drop terminals - Move terminals across windows to both editor and panel areas.
- Extended theme customization - Customize multiple color themes at once.
- Built-in support for Jupyter notebooks - Open .ipynb files directly in VS Code.
- Notebook UI improvements - Display first line of collapsed cells, Undo/Redo per cell.
- Testing API finalized - Native support for running tests in VS Code with built-in Test Explorer.
- Debug Disassembly view preview - Display disassembled C++ code in VS Code.
- Remote - Containers devcontainer CLI - Command line interface for working with development containers.